Friday, December 11, 2009

I am a Failure

I can cook. I can bake. But I have met my match with one of the simplest recipes out there. Rice Krispie Treats. I love, love, love to eat them (especially the school's version with peanut butter). I hate, hate, hate to make them because I can't do it. It was kind of a class project for me tonight. Several students made some for tomorrow and I felt like a good role model would make some also. One student did bring store bought ones, but I had already bought the ingredients so I couldn't back out and cheat too. The whole problem started with the ingredients. The recipe called for 10 oz. of marshmallows. I had 16. Okay, so I will use 3/4 of a bag. Of course, by the time I figured this out, my butter was past melted by about 2 minutes. So I put in my marshmallows and started stirring. Wasn't looking too good. So I got some more butter and lobbed it in there. Then I thought maybe I put too much, so I let it melt some and dug it back out. Mixture turning light brown around the edges so I stopped scraping the sides of the pan. Then I added my peanut butter. Didn't look too bad. So I added it to my rice krispies (why doesn't the recipe and the box measure in the same amounts?). Then I began stirring. Then I was stuck. Then I stuck my clean hands in. Then I broke out in a sweat. I had strings of goo flying and was scared my fingers would become stuck like my spoon was. Even though all the cereal wasn't mixed in, I decided to aim for the pan to start pressing it in. Oops, I forgot to butter my hands, but did remember to spray the pan. Not a good combination. I finally scraped my hands as best I could, washed them, and then buttered my hands. Press, press. Didn't look too bad. Cut and test one. Okay, not exactly what I was going for. I think mine are still a little stringy and certainly not as peanut buttery as the school's. Help! I don't have enough cereal to make another batch tonight, but some day my children are going to bring home a note asking for these treats for class and their failure of a mother is going to cry. Here is my recipe. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong! Also, does anyone have a recipe using marshmallow creme. I think this would be so much easier, wouldn't it?

3 tablespoons butter
10 oz. marshmallows, grrrr
1/2 cup peanut butter
6 cups cereal, grrrr

ps - I used the stove instead of microwave, because I think the last time I used the microwave and didn't have great results either.

3 comments:

  1. My Rice Krispie treats are okay. But, (lean in here because I'm whispering)....I don't make good gravy! Can you believe that? A Luthi who can't make gravy? I completely LOVE gravy; I'll lick out the gravy bowl for dessert instead of eating chocolate cake, I'll drink it for a bedtime snack, BUT I CAN'T MAKE IT! I just don't understand. My mom still makes the best pan gravy on the planet. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a Mom thing. No matter what I do, mine will never taste as good as Mom's. Same thing with wilted lettuce and Christmas Eve clam chowder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have called me right away when this emergency occurred--I could have helped you out. I make the best rk treats in the land. Just ask my people or Dallas Bergstrom.

    OK. Here was your problem...not enough cereal.

    Here is my famous recipe....minus the pb since LT is allergic....

    1/4 cup of real live butter
    16 oz of mini marshmellows

    Put mm in bowl with butter on top and melt in micro for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 1 min more. Stir until butter is totally melted.

    Stir in 9 cups of rice cereal.

    Spread in jelly roll pan that you spray with baking spray.
    ____________________________

    If you really want a recipe with PB....go to allrecipes.com and search for it. Every recipe I have ever tried from that site has been a success. No lie.

    Oh, and I must confess that I, much like Vicki, cannot make gravy to SAVE MY EVER LOVIN' LIFE. Mike makes it. I don't even try.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete