
A friend of mine from high school and I tried something new. Scary for me. Anyway, I found a flier at the kitchen store in the mall. It was advertising for a business called Meals on Track. It is owned and run by a certified dietician. You go to her business in Wamego, take the ingredients she provides, and assemble meals for your family. You pay by how many servings you want to have for your family. We chose to assemble pecan crusted salmon, turkey casserole, bowtie tamboli (described as pizza in a pasta bowl), and farmer's casserole (a breakfast casserole). I was so excited about doing this Saturday morning that we ate the bowtie tamboli for supper and farmer's casserole for breakfast Sunday morning. So far I am not terribly impressed with the flavors (I season and use ingredients differently at home). I am impressed with the fact that such small portions can feed my family (I cook WAY TOO MUCH and eat WAY TOO MUCH). I felt the bowtie tamboli was missing something. I know when I make it for myself I would add green peppers. She did show me to add italian sausage and canadian bacon. I would not normally do that. The farmer's casserole was also missing something. First, I would use way more cheese and a flavor that was strong (I bought pepper jack cheese to add to the leftovers). I am still looking forward to the turkey and salmon. Turkey because she used a white sauce, which I would never make to add to a casserole. I hope the salmon is good because this would be something I would never cook at home. Her toppings for the salmon include dipping it in milk and then a combination of seasoning salt, pepper, chopped pecans, brown sugar, and flour. Don't ask how much because she did not let us have the recipes. I think she is going to reuse the recipes so she doesn't want them available to the public!
My goal for all of this was to try new dishes and make my life easier. We have definitely tried something new, but so far I don't think it has been easier. Less grocery shopping but so far more cooking time than normal, four hours of non-stop chit chat with my best friend from high school. Extra advantages portion control and healthier options. Disadvantage: we had to drive to Wamego and use up our Saturday morning.
My goal for all of this was to try new dishes and make my life easier. We have definitely tried something new, but so far I don't think it has been easier. Less grocery shopping but so far more cooking time than normal, four hours of non-stop chit chat with my best friend from high school. Extra advantages portion control and healthier options. Disadvantage: we had to drive to Wamego and use up our Saturday morning.




No comments:
Post a Comment